What is your favorite destination?
I might be biased as I lived there for over a year, but Spain is easily my favorite. There is such a variety of landscape, culture and language within the country that the experiences are endless.
What is the most interesting/exotic locale you’ve visited?
I visited Ha Noi for a friend’s wedding. Viet Nam was so different from anywhere I’d ever been—the chaos of traffic, the jumble of electrical wires, and the crowds of people sitting on impossibly tiny stools! Above all, I was able to be a part of a traditional wedding ceremony—I’ve never felt so out of place but welcome at the same time.
What city could you revisit over and over again?
Melbourne, Australia. I lived there for two and a half years and was never bored once. The city is always putting something unique on for the public, whether it be a street festival, interactive art installation, or outdoor activity. There is so much greenspace that I never felt trapped in a city, and for the times I did want to venture out, gorgeous beaches, vineyards, and mountains were only just an hour away.
What’s on your travel “wish list”?
Pyramids of Egypt, northern lights in Norway, and South America.
When traveling, what can’t you leave home without?
An audiobook—it’s the best to fall asleep to on long plane rides
What was your most memorable meal while traveling?
Chicken pastilla in Morocco. Like a sweet and savory pie: pulled spiced chicken with roasted almonds baked in phyllo dough, topped with a dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon, then garnished with mint leaves and strawberries. Along with a glass of iced Moroccan tea, it went down a treat!
Any “words of wisdom” you’ve learned along the way?
Plan enough to make time for the things you want to do most, but be flexible to make room for unanticipated experiences…you never know what opportunities will present themselves as you go!
- Wellness Travel
MY TOP 5 EXPERIENCES
- Hiking Tongariro National Park across the craters of active volcanoes, New Zealand
- Watching through night-vision goggles as penguins scuttled up the beach just past our feet on Phillip Island, Australia
- Living next to the Camino de Santiago and seeing the pilgrims hiking to Santiago de Compostela
- Catching fish and grilling it for dinner on the coast of Cornwall, England
- Staying on a coffee plantation in Costa Rica and enjoying a delicious cup of joe each morning surrounded by the beautiful landscape